Application Period for The Home Depot 2018 Community Impact Grant is Now Open

VFW members can receive up to $5,000 to fund repairs or construction projects at their Post building.

The Home Depot has started accepting applications for their 2018 Community Impact Grant. VFW members can receive up to $5,000 to fund repairs or construction projects at their Post building. 


While there are no guarantees to being funded, several VFW Posts have been awarded this grant in the past.

Home Depot Grant 

Applications are only accepted through Home Depot’s online form. Telephone calls, emails or written submissions sent to Home Depot will NOT be accepted, nor will you be able to turn this application in at your local Home Depot store.


Applicants should expect a decision by email within six weeks of submission. Grants are awarded in the form of Home Depot gift cards which can be used to purchase tools and materials at a local Home Depot Store. Keep in mind that all projects must be completed within six months of approval date, so time your application accordingly. 


We encourage applicants to pay close attention to the tax ID instructions. VFW Posts must use an Employee Identification Number (EIN) and upload the Post’s 501(c)(19) IRS determination letter or From 990 (first page) at the end of the application. If you cannot locate your Post’s 501(c)(19) letter, follow the instructions below under “Lost IRS Determination Letter” on how to request a copy from the IRS.


Also new to the application process this year is a required detailed project budget. To aid VFW Posts and members as they complete the application process, the VFW Foundation has developed an instructional guide. Download the 2018 Home Depot Grant Guide and sample detailed project budget. The VFW Foundation has tried to make the instructions as simple as possible, and deviation from this guide could result in an application not being accepted. 


If you have any questions, please contact Jason Couch, VFW Foundation grants coordinator, at 816- 968-1174 or


Lost IRS Determination Letter?


Many VFW Posts fall under the “Group exemption” of their Department, which means their Department’s IRS determination letter is also theirs. However, each Post has its own unique Employee Identification Number or (EIN).


Department leadership should be able to tell you if your Post falls under a group exemption, but you may also call IRS Customer Service for nonprofit organizations at 1-877-829-5500.


If the IRS representative is unable to furnish you with a new copy of your letter, you can make a written request by filling out the Request for Public Inspection or Copy of Exempt or Political Organization IRS Form 4506 A. The form can be faxed to the IRS at 513-263-4330 or 513-263-3434, or your request can be mailed to IRS, Room 4024, P.O. Box 2508, Cincinnati, OH 45201.