Stop Loss: Use it or Lose it

Those eligible must submit their claim by Oct. 21, 2010

The DoD Web site ( links to service-specific sites, where you can get more information, or begin the RSLSP claim process.

The 2009 War Supplemental Appropriations Act established Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay (RSLSP), providing $500 for each month/partial month served in stop loss status. Service members, veterans, and beneficiaries of service members whose service was involuntarily extended under Stop Loss between Sept. 11, 2001 and Sept. 30, 2009 are eligible for RSLSP. 

To receive this benefit, those who served under stop loss must submit a claim for the special pay (by Oct. 21, 2010). Throughout the year, the services have been reaching out to service members, veterans and their families through direct mail, veteran service organizations, and the media. But there is still money left to be claimed, and the deadline is approaching. 
The average benefit is $3,700.
Note on Eligibility

Effective Dec. 19, 2009, per the Defense Appropriations Act, stop-lossed service members who voluntarily reenlisted or extended their service, and received a bonus for such reenlistment or extension of service, became no longer eligible to receive retroactive stop loss special pay. 
The following service-specific sites provide more information and allow you to begin the RSLSP claim process.

• Army:
E-mail RetroStopLossPay@CONUS.Army.Mil 

• Navy:
Web site: 

• Marine Corps: 

• Air Force:
E-mail (active)
E-mail (guard/reserve):

General Procedure
Individuals who meet eligibility criteria may submit an application between 21 October 2009 and 21 October 2010. By law, there is no authorization to make payments on claims that are submitted after 21 October 2010.

Eligible members should print, complete and sign Department of Defense Form 2944, Claim for Retroactive Stop Loss Payment.
Next, choose the appropriate method for submitting the claim form and available supporting documents based on your service specifications. This information can be found on your service’s stop loss Web site.
The following documents are examples of authorized source documents but may not be comprehensive, depending on specific status and service.

Source Documents
1. DD 214 (8-09), Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty and/or DD 215 (8-09), Correction to DD 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty.
2. Personnel record or enlistment or reenlistment document recording original expiration of service date.
3. Approved retirement/transfer to the Fleet Reserve memorandum or orders establishing retirement prior to actual date of retirement as stipulated in DD 214 or DD 215.
4.Approved resignation memorandum or transition orders establishing a separation date prior to actual date of separation as stipulated on DD 214 or DD 215.
5. Signed documentation or affidavit from knowledgeable officials from the individual’s chain of command acknowledging separation/deployment, etc.
6. Revocation of retirement or separation orders.